Thursday, April 9, 2009

Customer Service?

To any and all who work in the field of customer service, I applaud you on embarking on a difficult task. We, the consumer, can be hard to deal with at times. We are needy, bossy, bi*chy-at-times, short, demanding . . . an endless list of adjectives come to mind.

I guess we should define all of those who work in the customer service industry. My definition would be any one who serves the public in any capacity. Gas station attendant, check. Grocery store cashier, check. Department store sales, check. Waitress/waiter, check. Personally I have often worked in customer service. I have been a waitress, a sales clerk in a department store, an assistant manager at a national women's clothing store and most recently I have worked with the health care patient population.

Where has customer service gone?? When did it become an acceptable part of your routine (while taking my order) to partake in conversation with your co-worker (three times)? Are you oblivious to the car seat hanging off of my elbow and the two rambunctious boys I am trying to corral by MYSELF while you stop listening to my order and answering my questions? Does it seem right to you that I should have to ask you for permission to complete my order? I mean, pardon me for the interruption but this car seat is heavy (there is a baby inside, after all) and these two boys - you have no idea what they could do to your lobby if I don't keep them at my side.

Or when did it become acceptable for you and your friend to have a gossip fest in the middle of scanning our purchases and bagging our groceries? I feel uncomfortable listening to the personal exploits of your inner circle while you ring us up. It distracts me from making sure everything rings up at proper sale price. It feels awkward when I have to interrupt your conversation to ask a question.

Or how long do I have to wait at this desk for you and your personal phone call to end or for you to finish facebooking/i-chatting or for you and your co-worker to finish discussing a previous customer. Do you see us standing in front of you, waiting (not so patiently?) Is it rude of me to interrupt and say 'excuse me' for your attention?

Customer service is a really hard job. The public is hard to deal with (me included, sometimes.) I just thought you might want to know that giving a smile, being polite and professional, saving your personal and/or work conversations for another time -- these go a loooooong way. And seriously, once you're off the clock you can ignore us all you choose (although I'd prefer you didn't :)

No comments: