Friday, May 29, 2009

"God told me . . ."


About a year and a half ago or so I took the kids to the YMCA and after I worked out I took Carter, then age 6, to climb the rock wall. It was his second time trying. He made it about halfway up and then became frightened and wanted to come down. He asked me to try it. I only got about 2/3 of the way to the top before I was ready to call it quits. The wall is high and once you start realizing how high up you are it becomes a little frightening!

It was quiet for the first few minutes of the drive home. Then, from the back of the vehicle, Carter spoke up. "Mom. Next time, I'm going to make it to the top of the rock wall. God told me."

Gulp.

Now what? Do I let him try again in a few days, weeks, months, never??? I mean, surely, he's got to be making this up. I mean, I can't let him try again and then fail and then lose hope? I felt anxious and wanted to 'protect' him and furthermore (although I didn't realize it at the time) I wanted to 'protect' God from . . . what?

I'm ashamed to say that I dropped the ball. I didn't take Carter to the rock climbing wall. He didn't really ask, but I didn't really encourage him. I didn't want him to fail or God to fail him.

So here we are about a year and half later and one Saturday Jeff takes the kids out to a family day for work at a nearby camp where there all sorts of games, prizes, activities and *gasp* a rock climbing wall.

When I woke up (I work 3rd shift weekends) Jeff was all smiles telling me how much fun he and the kids had that morning. Cameron had been running all over the place, Vivian sat cheerfully in her stroller and Carter (now age 7.5) had fun playing games (by himself and with Cameron.)

"Oh, and guess what?" said my handsome husband beaming proudly. "Carter climbed the rock wall." I gulped. "He climbed all the way to the top, can you believe that?" My jaw dropped to the floor. I asked him how tall the rock wall was in comparison to the one at the YMCA. As tall, maybe taller. "Amanda, it was awesome! We were all cheering him on. When he was done, he got down and was so matter of fact. 'Well, I climbed to the top. I knew I could do it.' "

I guess God doesn't need me to insulate him from Carter's childlike faith, huh? I am happily put back into my proper place. And for that matter, I've learned that it's okay (good, even) for kids to fail sometimes. They learn valuable lessons when they mess up - and so do we.

No comments: