Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Brokenness of Humanity Explained to a 7 Year Old


Earlier this week, the three littles and myself went to Meijer for a few things. As we were tumbling out of the vehicle, my seven year old asked me a very serious question. "Mom, did you know that everything on earth is in danger because of humans?"

How come the serious questions always come when you are the least prepared?

Instantly what came to mind was "Amanda, quick! Explain the plight of the eco-system as it relates to original sin -- this is a great teaching moment." Right. Got it. Problem: I've completely lost my ability to articulate, to have clear thoughts and to draw lines between conclusions and concepts.

"Well, yes, I did know that. Remember when you used to read your old children's Bible at night? Your favorite story was about Adam and Eve, remember?" So I rambled on about how after God had created Eve to be a companion for Adam, He gave them mandates to 'subdue and multiply.' How God had told them that they eat of any tree except from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. If they ate of it, they would surely die.

"Mom, that's not what I'm talking about." "Well, hold on, I'm getting there." I'm clicking Viv's car seat on top of the grocery cart, pulling Cameron out of the video cart, instructing Carter to sit on the bench with little brother.

I explained how Adam and Eve's decision to disobey God had introduced brokenness and sin into our once perfect world. It was because of their sin that we would have to experience death, hurt, sin, etc. I tried to draw a line from there to pollution to mismanagement of the world's natural resources.

"Mom, that's not what I'm talking about."

Maybe I should have just said, "Really? Tell me more!" I was so excited to have this big, teachable, memorable moment between us that I might have forgotten that he is 7 and a half and not 12 or 14. I think it might have been more important to let him talk and share about his day and what he learned at school.

Biggest takeaway: talk less, listen more. Both in my relationship to God, husband, children and others.

No comments: