Saturday, August 8, 2009

What does it look like to follow Jesus?

I used to think it meant smiling a lot, encouraging words, bringing something to a potluck and maybe helping out with the nursery or the worship team.

Thankfully, it's not *just* that at all.

In these past 5 years or so of following Jesus at Vineyard I've learned that attending church has absolutely nothing to do with my comfort level or my being 'fed.' I've learned that it's not about ME at all.

I've learned that Jesus has called me to action. To feed the hungry, visit the sick or imprisoned. To disciple and be discipled. I've learned that I'm not following Jesus if I can walk past someone hurting or hungry and do nothing.

I've learned that being a friend, a good friend, doesn't just mean being nice and giving a shoulder to cry on. It might also mean being 100% truthful *in love,* even if it stings a little. I've learned that while we are supposed to enjoy our relationships we are also supposed to sharpen each other.

I've learned to not be easily offended. I'm learning to be humble and gentle.

Mostly . . . I've learned that's it not about me. I'm not the center of the universe.

Growing in Him,

Amanda

No comments: