Sunday, February 1, 2009

Self talk.


We all do this. I have this constant, internal narrative throughout the course of my day (and sometimes night.) I am forever beating myself up internally for how I could have done something better, been more creative, more patient, more thoughtful, more intelligent or just . . . better.

I participate in a women's Bible study at church on Tuesday mornings and currently we are doing a study from the Following God series entitled, Raising Responsive Children. I think that this study, so far, has been the richest we've done in a long time. The author drops pearls of wisdom in every paragraph and margin.

"If we perpetuate the mindset of 'never good enough,' that's exactly what we become, and it's only a matter of time before we see that same pervasive wave of dissatisfaction in our children."

It's one thing when we choose (sometimes unintentionally) to beat ourselves up. But to pass that along to my kids? No way. I want so much more for them than this.

And what does this say to my Creator? Thanks, Lord, but You could have done better? Oh, Lord, help me to love who I am that You have created. Help me to keep growing into the woman in Christ that you have created me to be!

Talking with some girlfriends around the holidays, one of my favorite people Robyn was sharing some of her excellent advice about parenting. My favorite admonition that she gave was to be encouraged in knowing that 'you are the best parent for your child. God put them in your home on purpose. ' He choose me! For these incredible kiddos! ME! I feel so honored, so privileged and sometimes so unworthy to hold such a noble position.

Back to the starting point. I am deciding right now to choose to change my self-talk. I am going to learn to appreciate the gifts, talents and abilities that my Father has endowed me with and use them to fulfill His purposes. I want to honor Him with my self-talk and model that for my kids.

Thanks for bringing this lesson to my attention, Lord.

2 comments:

SurlyGirl said...

Yay, Amanda started a blog. I have you linked so I'll be checking in.

Faith said...

Amen